This week my kvutsah was preparing for Rosh Hashana when we weren't sulking about the fact that we couldn't go see Paul McCartney preform in Tel Aviv on Thursday (ok, maybe I was the only one sulking). We ran a series of activities for everyone else that day and made them lunch as well. I can easily say that it was the best food I'd had since I left my aunt and uncle 2 weeks ago.
So my kvutsah just started Rosh Hashana break. So far it's been really chill and quiet. People have mostly just been taking anps and eating and not interacting much all day. We're mostly recovering from the fact that we've all not been sleeping very much. Also a lot of us have colds. I really didn't do anything all day. I did try to teach myself guitar, but I got so frustrated that I stopped after 4-5 hours. But I plan on starting up again soon.
We had really good group activities this week. We played a variation of "Family Feud" called "Kvutsah Feud". It was fun. My room did a musicale act this week as well.
I met my host family last friday. My host mom, Shlomit, is the daughter of two of the kibbutz founders and she knows a lot about the history of the kibbutz. She was also a shlicha for Hashomer Hatzair and worked in the same office as the mazkirut from when I was in Chalutzim. She even knew Bat-Ami, who was the shlicha at machaneh during my first 2 years there. My host dad, Alan, made aliyah in 1972 from South Africa, so the whole family is fluent in English. I only met two of their three kids, but they were both very nice. Daniel, 22, finished some sort of unit in the airforce and was home for the weekend. Their younger daughter, Yael, is my age and just passed her pilot's test. She goes to the airforce in January. They were having a sort-of celebration dinner for the two of them and they pressed me to stay. It was very nice of them and the food was very good, but it was very quiet. As the members of my household in Ann Arbor can tell you, I hate silence at the table.
Our house is slightly gross. But even when it's clean we still have a lot of flies...I hate flies. Other than that I love our house. I think I've said this before, but the whole kibbutz is really gorgeous. Here are some pictures that I took from outside my window. The first one is a neighboring Arab village who's Moazzin (I think that's what it's called) we can hear quite clearly. It's such a cool thing to hear.
Anyways, I have to go. It's Erev Rosh Hashana and I have to go find out where services are tomorrow.
Shana Tova to you all. I love and miss you dearly and may you have a sweet and healthy and happy new year!
All my Lovin'
-Phia
P.S. Mom/Dad- if you're reading this, will one of you remind me that I still have to e-mail the rabbis/ everyone else at shul who requested one from me? I keep forgetting
No comments:
Post a Comment