Sunday, September 21, 2008

And then While I'm Away...

We've been on kibbutz for a week now, but it feels like I've been here for months! It's really great here. We started all of our classes and our jobs so I'll tell you about them in turn.

For Shiur (lessons) we learn about matters concerning Judaica. We're focusing on the Chaggim right now since they're coming up soon. Today we learned about the Temples (and their destruction). One of the kids in my group's dad reaserches this as a profession and he had a lot to contribute. In fact, his dad was one of the speakers in the video we were watching about it. I think the whole thing is really fascinating and the lessons have been taking a great turn. At first I was falling asleep during them because I already knew everything that they were teaching me. Now I'm falling asleep because I'm tired. But they're still fun to be in!

Hebrew lessons are twice a week for 4 hours a day. I'm in the advanced group with 5 other people. In fact all of us who are going to U of M next year are in the same class. So is Judy. I'm still not sure how I feel about Hebrew yet. I think I like it, but so far I haven't been feeling very challenged. Also there have been times where we'll have come out of class only to discover that the beginners learned pretty much the same thing we did. That's always a little upsetting. But I think I like it.

My Avodah (Job) is working in the Archeological Museum that they have here on Kibbutz. I work there once a week with another kid from my kvutsah from 9-12. There are a couple of Kibbutznicks that work with us as well. Last week we were cleaning out the Museum's storage closet which is in an old chicken coop. We found all sorts of fun things in there. In fact, a rather amusing thing happened as a result of our cleaning.

So we got back from cleaning at 12-ish. We felt completley fine and dandy all day. Then we started to play cards at 11-ish and we looked down and noticed that our arms we starting to form these small red dots that itched. We looked a little concerned but didn't think much about it and we went to sleep. We woke up the next morning to find that the dots had spread up our arms, to our legs and around our necks. They itched a lot. One of our program organizers took one look at us and sent us the the kibbutz doctor.
We got there and the doctor looked us over for 2 seconds and said "You have a rash". I was skeptical because they looked more like bug bites than a rash, but he gave us some cream and a couple of pills and told us to come back tomorrow. The pills helped but they didn't stop the rash from spreading.
We went back in the morning and the doctor said "oh you're getting better. Take more pills and don't come back". That was a little disturbing, but we did what he said and the rash went away.
While this whole epidemic was happening we found out that all the kibbutznicks that we were working with got the dots too, but theirs all went away in a day. Slightly frustrating.

Other than that we've been hanging out with each other and the Brits. We arrange activities for each other that are usually pretty fun. My kvutsah is in the middle of planning a really cool Rosh Hashana for everyone else. We went to the Kibbutz's kabbalat shabbat service where they dedicated a prayer to us. That same night, we went to the kibbutz's club, which they had opened especially for us. Kind of a contrast, but it was fun and it really made us feel welcome. We also got host families. My host mom actually went on Year Course (the Young Judea year program) with a friend of my mom's (my old boss). So that's cool.

My kvuts-mates play guitar and love playing Beatles so we have jam sessions...they're my favorite thing ever! Also I was walking around our house the other day and I thought I heard the Loreleis' "Lollipop" and I walked into the room and my friend's roommates were using to his iPod and listening to our CD!!! They didn't know what it was and they were like "this is so good.." then they played "Julio" and my friend came in and goes, "Hey Phia, it's your song!" and his roomates were like "that's YOU?? this is YOUR group?!" Good moment. My room is probably the most musical room. We have a guitar player, a guitar player/singer and a singer. We sing each other lullabies.

I just watched the Godfather for the first time, during my down time. Now all the SNL sketches with John Belushi as Vito Corleone are so much funnier. So is the movie "Mafia!".

I'm a little upset that I won't be with my family on Rosh Hashana. And that I won't be able to see Paul McCartney when he coems to Tel Aviv. And the food here is absolutley terrible. Also I miss everyone. But other than that, I'm having a really really great time and I love it a lot.

All My Lovin'
-Phia

No comments: